Pregnancy can often leave unwanted effects on the appearance such as stretching of the abdominal muscles, sagging of the breasts, and loose skin. And many new mothers can become discouraged when their bodies do not return to the shape and size it was pre-pregnancy, even while following a healthy diet and exercising. A mommy makeover can restore the appearance you desire and improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Before undergoing a Mommy Makeover, Modern Surgical Arts finds it imperative that you, our prospective clients understand what it is best for and what the treatment comprises of. Below you will find a range of information on the Mommy Makeover procedure; this along with a consultation will help you to decide if a Mommy Makeover is the best option for your needs. You can also visit our offices for a consultation and one of our board certified doctors will be on call and ready to assist.
Frequently Asked Questions
A mommy makeover is the term used to describe a set of cosmetic procedures that are designed to assist women in addressing the effects of pregnancy and child birth, aging of the breasts, face, and body by restoring pregnancy appearance.
Every patient has their own personal goals when undergoing a Mommy Makeover; these can include one or more of the following:
- Correction of sagging of the breasts
- Restoring volume to the breasts
- Repairing a stretched nipple or areola
- Repairing a large nipple or areola
- Removing excess skin from the abdomen
- Removing sagging skin from the abdomen
- Repairing diastasis recti (stretched or separated muscles in the abdomen)
- Reducing pockets of fat
- Including the way clothing fits
Determining the best time to undergo a Mommy Makeover is heavily based on factors inclusive of the following:
- Must have fully recovered from childbirth
- Should wait several months after breastfeeding is finished to undergo the surgery
- It is better to wait until you are finished having children before doing the procedure
You can be considered a candidate for a Mommy Makeover if:
- You do plan to have any more children
- You are in good health
It is best for patients who are in otherwise good health, without diseases or serious preexisting medical conditions. It is, however, not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for diet and exercise. Other requirements include:
- Maintaining a stable weight – if you have not yet reached your weight loss goals, losing more weight could cause your thigh tissue to drop further.
- Are in good general health – conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes could compromise your ability to recover without incident or safely undergo anesthesia or sedation.
- Do not smoke – this can interrupt the healing process and increase the risk for complications
- Do not drink heavily – this can also impair recovery and raise your risk of complication.
- Are psychologically healthy – the procedure can be both physically and emotionally taxing.
- Have realistic expectations
Mommy Makeovers can vary from patient to patient, and for more comprehensive results they can include a number of procedures, including:
- Breast procedures
- Thigh lifts
- Butt lifts
- Arm lifts
- Full body contouring
- Tummy Tuck
As with most cosmetic procedures there are possible downsides to the use of a Mommy Makeover. Below are several side effects that you should take into consideration before making the decision to pursue a Mommy Makeover. We like to keep all of our patients informed of the risks associated with the cosmetic procedures that we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All clients are encouraged to ask as many questions with regards to the procedure as they deem necessary during the consultation, while our board certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following side effects are unavoidable for some of our patients.
- Poor healing of incisions
- Loss of sensation in the nipples
- Implant leaks
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of the skin
- Fat necrosis
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac complications
- Pulmonary complications
- Persistent pain
- Fat embolization
- Contour deformity
- Inability to breast feed
- Cell lymphoma
- Reduce sensitivity in the genitals
- Blood clot
- Allergic reaction to aesthetic drug
Preparing for a Mommy Makeover
In order to make the procedure and subsequent aftercare more comfortable and less tedious, the following are recommended:
- Stop smoking
- Get lab tests or a medical evaluation done
- Adjust the medication you currently take
- Avoid blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve for at least one week prior to the procedure. It is always important to consult your doctor before the procedure if you are taking any of these for medical reasons.
- Avoid supplements for at least a week before the procedure.
- Avoid topical products or any anti-aging products for at least 3 days before the procedure
- Do not intake any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before the treatment
Other guidelines you will receive for preparing for the surgery include:
- Medications to avoid
- When to take medications
- Proper washing techniques
- Restrictions regarding eating and drinking
- Staying hydrated
- Exercising and eating healthily
- Purchasing supplies to care for the incision
- Arranging for time off work
- Filling prescriptions for painkillers and other medications you might need following the procedure
- Once a client has chosen Modern Surgical Arts for their plastic surgery procedure they are provided with a personalized consultation. This is where the doctor will assess the patients’ medical history to determine their candidacy for the abdominoplasty and put steps in place to reduce risks. It is very important for patients to remain honest and thorough when discussing their past and present medical history. Although medical conditions do not exclude patients from the procedure the doctor may need to take extra precautions to accommodate their health needs.
- Once the surgeon understands the patients’ needs, they can discuss the aesthetic goals for the procedure and determine the right treatment for the patients’ needs. It is a point of importance for clients to note that insurance companies do not usually cover cosmetic surgery that is performed without a medical reason, you should always consult your insurance provider before cosmetic procedures to be mindful on what procedures are covered and which ones are not.
Anesthesia is administered to the patient and the procedures that will be a part of your personalized Mommy Makeover are conducted.
The final results of the procedure will not be visible for several months. As time passes the implants will settle and the scars will improve, though never disappearing completely.
How to Choose a Health Care Provider
Finding a good health care provider is an essential part of achieving the desired results with thigh lift surgery. Your plastic surgeon will lead you through every step of the process, from assessing your candidacy to monitoring your recovery so it is important that you choose experienced and highly qualified surgeons like the ones here at Modern Surgical Arts. We ensure that we provide doctors with the right personality and skills to ensure that your surgical procedures go smoothly and that our clients are satisfied after each visit.