Many people are unsatisfied with shape and size of their chin area, whether it is because of a medical condition, genetics, or just self-esteem; this may affect their self-confidence and how they socialize with peers and partake in physical activity. Many patients also become discouraged from going out and may constantly look at others and compare themselves to those people who they think have the perfect facial features.
Fortunately at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver we provide a procedure that can assist patients with just that problem, a chin surgery. This type of procedure is used to reshape the chin with an implant or reduction surgery to the bone in the chin area.
What is Chin Surgery?
Chin surgery, or mentoplasty, is a surgical procedure performed to reshape the chin either by enhancement with an implant or reduction surgery on the bone.
Candidates for Chin Surgery
A chin surgery is optimal for those who:
- Have receding or weak chins
- Overprojecting chins
- You are physically healthy
- Your expectations are realistic
- You understand the risks that come with surgery
- You are unhappy with the appearance of your chin but have a normal bite
A chin lift can be done alone or in combination with other cosmetic surgeries such as a face lift or a neck lift.
The procedures used inclusive of:
- Chin implantation – this uses synthetic implants to reshape, enlarge, and push the chin forward
- Sliding genioplasty – this moves the chin bone either forward, to help the chin project farther, or back, to reduce a chin that projects too far forward
- Chin shaving – this surgery is used to shave excess chin bone
- Chin fat injection
- Hyaluronic filler injection
Preparing For Chin Augmentation
After the consultation and making final decision for surgery the doctor will provide you with pre-operative information and the surgical team will instruct you on how to prepare for surgery. You should also arrange for someone to drive you home and help you for a few days after the surgery.
There are certain steps a patient should take to ensure low risks and a speedy recovery. These include:
- Keeping a healthy diet before the procedure
- Begin a regular exercise routine in the weeks leading up to the surgery
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before the surgery – smoking constricts blood vessels and reduces oxygen flow
- Discontinue medications such as aspirin, blood thinners, garlic supplements, green tea extracts, and any medications containing aspirin up to 5 days before the procedure
- Be sure to take at apply for leave from work and arrange a ride home from surgery
- Assemble all the supplies they will need during recovery
Patients may be asked to:
- Get blood tests done
- Adjust current medication
- Quit smoking – thus will help you heal faster and avoid complications
- Arrange for transportation
- Arrange for someone to stay with you the night of and after the surgery
What to expect from Chin Surgery
Patients are able to return home on the day after the procedure.
Anesthesia is used to numb the chin area along with sedation medication to help patients to relax.
The chin will be taped minimize swelling and discomfort. If an intraoral incision is used the sutures will dissolve on their own, and if the incision is under the chin the sutures will be removed 1 – 2 weeks after the procedure.
During the recovery patients will:
- Receive medication for pain, soreness, and discomfort
- Have swelling and numbness for a few weeks
- Be able to return to normal physical activity within 10 to 14 days
- Return to work in 10 days
- Resume strenuous activities after a few weeks
- Will the procedure hurt?
- We know that undergoing a life changing procedure such as this can be nerve racking and intimidating, and we understand. We believe that educating our clients allows them to assist us in making the best decision to suit their needs. So we put measures into place to ensure that our clients are calm, comfortable, and relaxed before, during, and after all our procedures.
- Our board certified plastic surgeons at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver use the latest in techniques and technology to minimize any discomfort that our patients may feel or worry about feeling. Most of the pain will be experienced following the surgery and going into recovery.
Risks of Chin Surgery
As with anything in life there are possible downsides to the use of Juvederm. Below are several side effects that you should take into consideration before making the decision to pursue the Juvederm treatment. We like to keep all out patients informed of the risks associated with the cosmetic procedures that we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All clients are encouraged to ask as many questions with regards to the procedure as they deem necessary during the consultation, while our board certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following side effects are unavoidable for some of our patients. While these are very rare at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver, the complications can be serious and permanent.
- Anesthesia complications
- Blood clots
- Implant movement
- Teeth damage
- Unevenness of the face
Benefits of a Chin Surgery
A chin augmentation can:
- Improve facial harmony
- Correct a weak chin
- Correct a recessed chin
- Improve definition of the jawline
- Improve the definition of the neck
- Reduce the appearance of a double chin
Who is qualified to perform Chin Surgery?
When seeking cosmetic treatment of any kind it is always important to ensure that your provider is a board certified health care professional like those on our team at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver.
Board certification lets clients know that their health care provider and their facilities are held at the utmost level of education, cleanliness, and quality. You ensure the best possible outcome for yourself when you choose an experienced and qualified health care facility.
Why Choose Modern Surgical Arts of Denver?
Thanks to our vision of innovation and customer value, at our facility we are not only focused on the success of our business but on the comfort and satisfaction of our clients, our team members serve our clients with years of experience and dedication under their belts and we see each patient as an opportunity to allow an individual to leave our office being and feeling like the best version of themselves. We offer the highest quality treatments available and offer a variety of cosmetic procedures. Our staff pays special attention to each client ensuring that all your questions are answered and that we provide you with a positive experience.
Though our board-certified plastic surgeons provide you with all the information you could possibly need before considering undergoing a procedure, we encourage all of our clients and prospective clients to learn as much as they can about the services we offer and call us at any time at Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number303-470-3400 to schedule a consultation, our friendly and experienced staff are always ready to help.